Dean of Student Affairs
The Dean of Student Affairs reports directly to the Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs. The Dean has responsibility for overseeing the College functions of Advising, Records, Career Services, and Student Life. The Dean plans, implements, and evaluates student success initiatives in collaboration with the Dean of Academic Affairs and Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs.
Specific Responsibilities: (*Denotes primary duties)
- Provide leadership for and supervision of each assigned function in student services and collaborate
with others across the College community regarding those functions.
- Act as the lead for student retention and completion initiatives:
- Sets and realizes student persistence/retention goals.
- Works directly with the Faculty Leads and staff for the purpose of maximizing retention of
- Designs, implements, evaluates, and oversees the College retention plan.
- Identifies, implements, and evaluates new and/or revised strategies to maximize retention of
new and returning students.
- Works closely with faculty and the Marketing Department to update the website with the latest
information related to programs of study.
- Directs the planning, implementation, and evaluation of new student orientations.
- Develops and maintains communications with enrolled students via telephone, written
correspondence, texts, and social media.
- Directs, in collaboration with others, student co-curricular activities which complement and enhance
the academic programming of the college and enrich the development and experience of students.
- Attends and actively participates in open houses and other campus activities.
- Provide supervision and support for the transfer and articulation functions of the college in
collaboration with the Dean of Academic Affairs.
- In conjunction with the Dean of Academic Affairs, oversee the advising and counseling of students
concerning academic and disciplinary problems, resolving student conduct issues per College policies
- Document student complaints per the Higher Learning Commission compliance regulations and serve
as the contact for student concerns and complaints that have risen to the administrative level.
- Oversee student services operations at the North Center and in Monroe County.
- Monitor and evaluate applicable budgets.
- Participates in the shared governance system of the College.
- Supervisory responsibilities as assigned by the Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs.
- A minimum of three years of experience with student support services at an administrative level and preferably at a community or technical college.
- A minimum of a master’s degree with an emphasis on student development or a comparable degree that relates to the duties of this position; doctoral degree preferred.
- A thorough knowledge of student services and student development theory.
A demonstrated ability to supervise professional and administrative level staff and to provide direction to achieve college goals is essential.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills are required.
- The ability to meet the position requirements with minimal supervision and self-direction to meet reporting and other deadlines
complete a Belmont College employment application. A cover letter, resume, and three professional references must be included or emailed separately to firstname.lastname@example.org.