Prospective Students | Current Students | Donors & Friends | Workforce & Community Ed | About Us
Accessibility Services

Accessibility Services

Accessibility Services provides assistance to all qualified students with disabilities, whether they are physical, psychiatric, or educational. You are required to register with the office and identify your needs to be eligible for academic adjustments. All services are based on individual needs. We are here to help you reach your academic goals.



A qualified person with a disability is someone with a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more life activities, who with or without accommodations, can meet the essential requirements for participation in a program.

Qualified individuals eligible for disability services need to produce required documentation of their disability and self-identify their need for accommodations.



Mr. Nick Wittenbrook
Academic Advisor
Scheduled an Appointment with Nick

Mrs. Bridgette Dawson
Dean of Student Affairs
Schedule an Appointment with Bridgette


Office Hours

Academic Technical Center, Room 1047
Monday – Friday 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM
Evening times by appointment




Accommodations Process

Reasonable Accommodation Request Procedure

Accessibility services is responsible for ensuring that students with disabilities are provided reasonable academic accommodations (academic adjustments, auxiliary aids, and services) in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities act as amended. Accessibility Services is in the Student Services Suite located in the Academic Technical Center (ATC) of Belmont College. The Academic/ Access Advisor, Nick Wittenbrook, is responsible for addressing student requests for reasonable accommodations. He can be contacted at:

Nick Wittenbrook
Academic Advisor
Belmont College
68094 Hammond Road
St. Clairsville, OH 43950
Phone: 740.699.3870

Students may register with the Accessibility Office and request accommodations at any time; however, the college is not required to provide retroactive accommodations. Students are encouraged to register with the Accessibility Office at the beginning of an academic program and are encouraged to submit Reasonable Accommodation Request Forms prior to the beginning of or as early in the academic term as possible.

1. Register with Accessibility Services in the ATC

Students may request reasonable academic accommodations through the Accessibility Office by completing the online form or by registering in person.

Students requesting reasonable accommodations are responsible for self-identifying by registering and for providing appropriate documentation of a disability.

Students may submit documentation by:

Belmont College
ATTN: Accessibility Services
68094 Hammond Road
St. Clairsville, OH 43950

An individualized education program (IEP) or Section 504 plan, if a student has one, may help identify services that have been effective; however, they generally are not sufficient documentation because of the differences between postsecondary education and high school education. What a student may need to meet the new demands of postsecondary education may be different from what worked for the student in high school. Also, in some cases, the nature of a disability may change.

After recipient of the “Student Application” and appropriate documentation, the Academic/ Access Advisor will review the information and decide as to whether the student is eligible to receive accommodations. The advisor will notify the student in writing of his/ her decision. The advisor may request additional documentation if necessary

After registering with AS, students do not need to submit documentation of a disability unless the student requests an accommodation not supported by prior documentation.

2. Meet with the Academic/ Access Advisor

If eligible to receive services, the advisor will schedule an initial meeting with the student to discuss AS policies and procedures as well as possible accommodations and available resources. Students need to bring a copy of their schedule to the meeting.

Following the meeting, Accessibility Services will prepare an accommodation letter outlining the accommodations for which the student has been approved for the student to give to each faculty member/ course identified by the student on the student’s schedule. Accommodation letters are based on the student’s documentation, the completed Student Application, and through an interactive process with the student.

Accommodation letters will be emailed to the student’s official Belmont College email account.

3. Implement Accommodations

After Accessibility Services issues accommodation letters, each student is responsible for making an appointment with each faculty member/ instructor during office hours to discuss the accommodation letter and their accommodation needs and for providing each faculty member with a copy of the accommodation letter.

Faculty members are not required to provide accommodations in an any course until the student has met with and provided the faculty member with the accommodation letter. The purpose of the meeting is to discuss implementation of the accommodations as described in the accommodation letter. Students must sign and obtain the signature of each faculty member on the “Accommodation Agreement Form.” Students are required to return this form to AS.

If adjustments to testing procedures is an approved accommodation, students are required to follow all Exam/ Adjustment/ Test Scheduling procedures.

Faculty members are responsible for providing and implementing only the accommodations approved by AS, as set forth in each accommodation letter.

Faculty members are not responsible for providing accommodations to any student who does not have an accommodation letter. Faculty members should refer any student to AS who requests an accommodation but does not have an accommodation letter.

Faculty members are not required to lower course expectations or fundamentally alter the nature of the course at the request of a student with a disability. If a student makes such a request, related to an approved accommodation set forth in an accommodation letter, the faculty member should contact the department/ program with who the student is registered. Faculty members with accommodation implementation questions, problems establishing an accommodation, or who need assistance on where to start should contact AS for assistance. Accessibility Services can provide assistance with implementation of accommodations; however, the faculty member is primary responsible for providing academic accommodations to students.

4. Requesting Accommodations After Registering with Accessibility Services

Students are required to respond to the “Request for Accommodation” email and follow Step 3 before the start of each academic term for which they wish to receive accommodations

5. ADA Grievance Procedure

If at any time students feel their accommodation requests are not being fulfilled properly, the student should notify Accessibility Services.


Frequently Asked Questions

1. Can I enroll in special classes or programs for students with disabilities?

Answer: No, there are no special classes/programs designated for students with disabilities, but we do provide reasonable accommodations. The purpose of reasonable accommodations is to provide you with equal access to the information and course content. Given these accommodations, a student who is otherwise qualified should be able to be successful within the context of a normal classroom setting.

2. Where are the Accessibility Service Offices located?

Answer: Accessibility Services are located in the Student Services Suite, (Offices 1046 and 1047) in the Academic Technical Center.

3. What is the purpose of accessibility accommodations?

Answer: The purpose of the accommodations is to provide each student with equal access to the information and course content. Given these accommodations, a student who is otherwise qualified should be able to be successful within the context of a normal classroom setting.

4. What kind of documentation do I need to provide for accessibility accommodations?

Answer: You should provide information about current functional limitations and the specific impact on your learning. You can submit a letter from a qualified professional, ETR, or a Disability Verification form. You can pick up a Disability Verification form from the Accessibility Services office or print a copy of the form. This form must also be completed by a qualified professional and faxed, mailed, or hand delivered to the Accessibility Services office. For further information, please visit the Documentation Standards page.

5. Who qualifies for Accessibility Services?

Answer: Belmont College is committed to serving all students with disabilities as defined by federal regulations. The federal definition of a disability includes a person who:

  • Has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities
  • Has a record of such impairment, or
  • Is regarded as having such impairment.

The determination of whether an individual has a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is not based upon the diagnosis of the impairment, but rather upon the impact of that impairment on the life of the individual.

6.  Can the Accessibility Services office test for learning disabilities and/or ADD/ADHD?

Answer: No, however, a list of community resources for this service can be obtained from our office.

7. Do I have to disclose educational or medical information to Belmont instructors or staff for accessibility accommodations?

Answer: No, however, if you want to receive academic accommodations, and/or auxiliary aids you must self-identify to the Accessibility Services and provide documentation. All documentation submitted to our office is confidential and is not shared with instructors or staff. Accommodations and services cannot be provided retroactively.

8. Can a student request an accommodation directly from their professor without first meeting with the Accessibility Services?

Answer: Individual instructors have no obligation to accommodate a student until they are approved for services by Accessibility Services.


Testing Accommodations

Exam Adjustment/ Test Scheduling Procedures


Students authorized for exam accommodations have three options:

  1. Take exams with the class without accommodations.
  2. Take exams with appropriate accommodations arranged by/ with the instructor.
  3. Schedule/ take exams with Accessibility Services and/ or the Testing Center.

Student Responsibilities:

  • Notify your instructor at least four days prior to EACH test/ quiz that you wish to take the exam with Accessibility Services.
  • Notify your instructor at least two weeks prior to any final exam that you wish to take the final exam with AS.
  • Notify AS at least four days prior to EACH test/ quiz that you wish to take the exam through AS stating the name of the class, time, date, professor.
  • Notify AS at least two weeks prior to any final exam that you wish to take the final exam with AS.
  • If the schedule changes, notify AS immediately.
  • To schedule a test in the center you can complete the online form located at:
  • If instructor proctors his/ her own exams, notify your instructor at least four days prior to EACH test/ quiz and two weeks for final exams so that s/he can make arrangements to proctor the exam/quiz/final in accordance with your accommodations.

Faculty Responsibilities:

  • All exam materials must be delivered to AS at least 2 business days before the scheduled exam. Paper materials may be placed in Mailbox #6 and electronic materials may be emailed to
  • If exam materials are not received 24 hours before the scheduled exam, AS may cancel the scheduled exam.
  • If the faculty member proctors the exam, the faculty member is responsible for implementing all testing accommodations.

Procedures for Day of Exam Test/ Quizzes Proctored by Accessibility Services or the Testing Center:

  • Leave all books, notes, backpacks, cell phones, etc. with proctor or in the lockers. You may only use materials the instructor has given written permission to use.
  • Call AS of you are going to be late for a test or quiz. If you are late to a scheduled exam, time may not be extended.
  • If you experience any problems, notify the proctor immediately.
  • Once an exam begins, students may only leave the testing room for a quick restroom break or if breaks are allowed as a designated accommodation.
  • No food or drink is allowed in the testing room unless it is a designated accommodation.
  • Notify AS of any problems or concerns you have.
  • Belmont College takes academic dishonesty very seriously. If cheating or other academic dishonesty is observed or suspected during tests administered by AS, the instructor will be notified immediately. Belmont College’s academic dishonesty policies and procedures are available in the Course Catalog.