Hilda Burrows Door-of-Opportunity Grant
This grant program provides access to educational services at Belmont College for
qualified unemployed persons and/or their dependent(s). Eligible persons receive
a scholarship to cover instructional fees (tuition) & books.
Grant applicants are required to apply for other federal and state assistance as
well. If applicants are determined to be eligible for other assistance, the money
will be used to pay for instructional fees (tuition) first. A 2.5 grade point average
is required each term in attendance. Failure to comply with this GPA will result
in termination of the grant.
Categories of Eligibility
There are three categories of eligibility. Applicants must be:
- Unemployed due to layoff or plant closing;
- The spouse of an unemployed person meeting category #1; or
- A dependent of unemployed parent(s) meeting category #1*
*In order to determine if a grant applicant is eligible based on personal unemployment
status, the FAFSA application will be used to determine whether the applicant is
Additional Eligibility Requirements
The following qualifications are considered when determining eligibility:
- Provide written verification of layoff or plant closing (on company letterhead)
from the employer
- Provide verification of eligibility for unemployment compensation
- Be a high school graduate (or possess a GED)
- Maintain enrollment for an entire academic period
- Maintain a 2.5 GPA (or higher) each quarter
- Complete the FAFSA by going to www.FAFSA.gov
(Belmont school code: 009941)
- Students who have previously attended Belmont College and who are applying for the
Hilda Burrows Door-of-Opportunity Grant must have a cumulative 2.0 GPA, in addition
to meeting the above qualifications.
- Students are eligible for up to six consecutive terms of the grant award.
Amount: Tuition, Fees and Books minus other forms of aid. Quantity
is as funds remain.
Major: All Degree Seeking Majors
Application: Hilda Burrows Application