Local Students Take Top Honors at Annual MATHCOUNTS Competition
Area Middle School Mathletes Compete to Represent Ohio, West Virginia at State Competition at Belmont College.
St. Clairsville, OH - February 18, 2013 – Local middle school students competed to test their math and problem solving skills at the 2013 MATHCOUNTS competition on Saturday, February 16 at Belmont College in St. Clairsville.
For more than 25 years, volunteers, educators, and industry sponsors have come together to make MATHCOUNTS possible for middle school students around the country. The event includes both individual and team competition. Belmont has hosted the math enrichment competition for more than 20 years.
MATHCOUNTS encourages students to put their math and analytical skills to work to solve real-world problems and scenarios in competition with their peers. Students and their teachers work during and after school, as well as on weekends, to prepare for the competition.
A total of 76 competitors from six area schools participated in the event, including students from: Bellaire Middle, Bishop Fenwick Middle, Buckeye Trail Middle, and Tri-Valley Middle in Ohio, and Follansbee Middle and Triadelphia Middle in West Virginia.
Registered local winners proceed to state competitions, where the top four “mathletes” and their coach compete to represent their state or region at the national level. Non-registered winners compete only for trophies at the local event. At all levels, MATHCOUNTS challenges students' math skills, develops their self-confidence, and rewards them for their achievements.
Registered team awards for Ohio went to:
- 1st Place: Tri-Valley Middle School Team: Ryan Harris; Kenzie King; Zane Maddox; Elli Shaw; coached by Jason Braddock.
- 2nd Place: Bellaire Middle School Team: Abbey Cusick; Marissa Dippel; Sloane Porter; Lili Yocum; coached by John Farrier.
- 3rd Place: Biship Fenwick Middle School Team: Michael Fisher; Travis Johnston; Keagan McLaughlin; Noah Moulton; coached by Leanne Russo.
Individual Ohio awards were earned by:
- 1st Place registered: Kenzie King of Tri-Valley Middle School
- 2nd Place registered: Abbey Cusick of Bellaire Middle School
- 3rd Place registered: Lili Yocum of Bellaire Middle School
In the Countdown Round, Travis Johnston of Bishop Fenwick Middle School took 1st place and Abbey Cusick of Bellaire Middle School took 2nd place.
Students advancing to the state competition for Ohio are: Tri-Valley Middle School Team: Ryan Harris; Kenzie King; Zane Maddox; Elli Shaw; coached by Jason Braddock. Individuals advancing to state are: Abbey Cusick and Lili Yocum from Bellaire Middle School coached by John Farrier.
Registered team awards for West Virginia went to:
- 1st Place: Triadelphia Middle School: Allison Holmstrand; Ritika Reddy; William Sellers; Fiona Zhang; coached by Russ Sellers.
- 2nd Place: Follansbee Middle School Team: Connor Combs; Colin Heilman; Koty Hudson; Taylor Pannett; coached by Scott Abercrombie.
Individual West Virginia awards were earned by:
- 1st Place registered: William Sellers of Triadelphia Middle School
- 2nd Place registered: Fiona Zhang of Triadelphia Middle School
- 3rd Place registered: Allison Holmstrand of Triadelphia Middle School
In the Countdown Round, William Sellers of Triadelphia Middle School took 1st place and Mary Prathers of Triadelphia Middle School took 2nd place.
Students advancing to the state competition for West Virginia are: Triadelphia Middle School: Allison Holmstrand; Ritika Reddy; William Sellers; Fiona Zhang; coached by Russ Sellers. Individuals advancing to state are: Mary Prather and Katherine Leary from Triadelphia Middle School coached by Russ Sellers as well as Colin Heilman and Connor Combs from Follansbee Middle School coached by Scott Abercrombie.
# # # #
Tri-Valley Middle School Registered Winners Photo Caption: Tri-Valley Middle School took first place at Belmont College's 2013 MATHCOUNTS and will proceed to the state competition in Ohio
Countdown Round Ohio Photo Caption: Countdown Round Ohio finalist Travis Johnston from Bishop Fenwick Middle School.
Triadelphia Middle School Registered Winners Photo Caption: Triadelphia Middle School took first place at Belmont College's 2013 MATHCOUNTS and will proceed to the state competition in West Virginia.
Countdown Round West Virginia Photo Caption: Countdown Round West Virginia finalist William Sellers from Triadelphia Middle School.
« View All News